Monday, August 18, 2008

Psalm 1 - Divine Design


I have been going over Psalm 1 lately. It has been on my mind for a few months. Then we ended up having a sermon on this passage on Sunday morning. Verse 1 was the focus. *Blessed is the man who walks not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor stands in the path of sinners, nor sits in the seat of the scornful.*
I appreciated the way Pastor Steve had us look at this. Some I have heard before. Others I have not. It sure made me sit up and pay attention.
To allow genuine godly joy, we have to say no to certain things. Our walk is not a list of do's and don'ts. It is a life found in Christ. Not just the facts, it is how you define the fact's. We are to be in the world, not of the world. There is a difference. How am I responding? What am I taking my counsel from? Am I becoming used to the world and how they respond? Or am I responding the way God wants me to? I am a boat in the water. I need to make sure I dont let water in the boat.
Am I walking with the ungodly and wanting to be like them? To be approved by them?
Am I standing with the ungodly and paying attention?
If we start being comfortable with walking we then start standing. And soon we will be sitting. We need to not be that comfortable.
I love verses 2 and 3.
But his delight is in the law of the Lord,
and in His law he meditates day and night,
He shall be like a tree planted by the rivers of water,
that brings forth its fruit in its season,
whose leaf also shall not wither,
and whatever he does shall prosper.
That is what I want to be. That is what I want to focus on. That is what I want my walk to be. To say no to things that take away my godly joy. I want to have godly joy.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing some specific insights for this verse. Very thought provoking!

-Jami

Soozie4Him said...

Debra, our pastor just preached on this Psalm on Sunday, 8/17! His sermon was based around verse 3, the tree planted by streams of water. It was all about tree/roots/fruit/water images - our church is changing it's name and it was all about that. Very interesting stuff! Thanks for sharing!!

Susan, aka Soozie4Him on SCS
moot96@aol.com

Shelley ~ Photocropper said...

Thanks Debra! Wow how powerful! I am so glad you shared!